7 THINGS TO DO IN CAR ACCIDENT
1) CALL THE POLICE
Notify the police that you were in a car accident and give your full cooperation in completing the police report.
Identify any factors that may have contributed to the accident.
Identify any witnesses.
Inform the officer of any injuries or if you are experiencing pain.
2) EXCHANGE INFORMATION
3) GET MEDICAL TREATMENT
- If you are injured get treatment right away!
- If you wait, the insurance company will question whether your injuries are related to this accident.
- Many people will feel some discomfort after a car accident but not everyone will follow up.
4) TAKE PICTURES
If you are capable, take photographs of the accident scene, the position of the vehicles, the roadway, and any damage to the vehicles.
Photograph any visible injuries, such as cuts and bruises.
If possible, try to position a newspaper in the background to confirm the date of the photographs.
5) FILE AN MV104
- Filing a police report creates a record of your account of the accident.
- The insurance companies may view these when investigating a claim.
6) FILE A NO-FAULT APPLICATION
- You have 30 days from the date of the accident to file this form.
- No-fault benefits are payments that YOUR insurance company will make for medical treatments if you are injured.
7) TALK TO AN ATTORNEY
- An experienced team of personal injury attorneys can explain the options available to you and help get you on the path to recovery.